5 Ways To Save Money This Holiday Season
You don't have to install PV Solar just to save money on your utility bill
Even though Hawaii celebrates a tropical interpretation of the December / January Holidays, we like to decorate our homes with flashing and dazzling lights too. But whenever you are plugging in additional appliances for Holiday cooking and long strings of decorative lights, that means your utility bill will increase, sometimes by as much as double!
Here are 5 simple ways to reduce your Holiday energy consumption this year:
1. Choose LED or energy efficient Holiday Decorations - LED lights use 50 percent less energy than standard lights.
2. Make sure your Holiday gift appliance has a Star Rating - In order to determine the approximate yearly running cost, multiply the annual kilowatt hour of energy consumption of the appliance by 20 cents.
3. Let your appliances take a vacation - Use a power strip or unplug appliances when not in use and to elimate standby power; You can save upwards of $400 annually.
4. Install motion sensor lights - Installing timers or motion detectors will help you save money and provide additional security.
5. Light up your Christmas tree with energy efficient bulbs - CFL lights use up to 80 percent less energy than standard incandescent lighting and last up to 20 times longer.